Modis, on behalf of our client is looking for a Big Data Developer
Big Data Developer (58964959)
Contract Duration: (6 months)
Location: Toronto, ON
• Develop and enhance a Hadoop based data aggregation and reporting application taking it from prototype to production deployment
• Rationalize the technology stack being used for the application and harmonize it with the broader Global Capital Markets Technology Strategy.
• Develop and then execute a plan to put a robust set of non-functional controls, processes and procedures around the application to ensure maximum uptime and minimize mean time to recovery.
• Assist with integration of the application into the client’s state of the art DevOps infrastructure for automated build/ automated deployment.
• Development of feeds into the system using a variety of technologies, from code through conventional ETL tools and onto open source tools like Apache NiFi.
• Documentation of the system to a level which can be handed over to a third line support team.
• Preparation of specifications and documentation for all software developed. Use of standard project management and team collaboration tools
• Collaboration as part of an Agile development team, participation in daily standups, preparation of work estimates, identification of blocking and critical path steps
• Hands on coding in one or more of the programming languages identified in the Functional Competencies listed below
• Accountable for delivery according to pre-agreed time and budgetary constraints
• Minimum of 7-10 years of industry experience
• Expert hands on programming skills in at least two of: Spark, HDFS, Apache Parquet, Django, Pentaho, Tableau, Apache Airflow, Scala
• Expert hands in all of: Python, Bash, SQL (PostgresSQL preferred)
• 5+ years of data integration and reporting experience
• Experience working in an agile team
• A very good knowledge of financial instruments, how they are represented in trading and risk systems.
• Experience working in banking/ capital markets
• Understanding of DevOps integration
• A recognized under-graduate degree in business, mathematics, computer science or a related discipline.
• A recognized post-graduate or master’s degree in business, computer science, finance, mathematics, CFA and/or FRM would be an asset.
• GitHub and/or lots of coding experience.
Please note that Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Your resume will not be forwarded to any of our clients without your explicit permission. We thank all applicants, but only suitable applicants with the above qualifications clearly identified in their resumes will be contacted. Modis Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We’re at the center of exceptional IT connections. Every day, Modis connects premier IT professionals to great opportunities at leading companies. Put our connections to work for you!